2. How do I apply thermal paste correctly?
3. What should you watch out for when using the thermal pads?
- The TIM layer should be as slim as possible.
- Layering different pads (or other TIM materials) is possible, but should only be done if the irregularities or tolerances of both surfaces require it to bridge such a gap.
- If a big gap needs to be bridged, do this with a copper or aluminium plate and use a thin thermal pad on each contact surface. I.e., to bridge a 4 mm gap, use a 3.3 mm Cu plate with two 0.5 mm thermal pads.